This Extended Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment is designed to provide you with the foundations necessary for a lifelong career.
The programme is designed by our industry partners - Bardsleys Constuction, Conlon Construction, Kier Regional Building RW, Lovells and Vinci Construction UK and seeks to identify and develop young talent and excellence for the future.
In an industry always in need of skilled, qualified experts and unable to meet demand – with hundreds of vacancies in Greater Manchester alone - this unique programme will provide you with:
• Small class sizes of 12 (max.)
• Entry into a talent pool from which employers will select future apprentices and graduates
• Classes delivered with high quality materials designed in collaboration with industry partners
• Significant elements of the course delivered by industry experts as well as elements delivered digitally reducing the need for you to be in college as often, and giving you the chance to own your learning
• 45 day industry placement – allowing you to convert theory into practice in the workplace
• An industry mentor to support you with your studies accessible via digital channels
• An employability specialist tutor to support your progression towards readiness for the world of work.
• Dedicated time in class with industry experts delivering and assessing bespoke modules which fill critical skills gaps the industry have identified
• A £300 Bursary/year and Free Tablet PC (T &C apply)
• Trips and visits designed to bring your studies to life:
o Year 1: Urban Regeneration/Social Housing: Manchester and Liverpool, Heritage Skills: Manchester “Our Town Hall”, Transportation & Infrastructure: Manchester Airport extension & HS2 Railway
o Year 2: European Exchange to France: Smart Motorways/Notre Dame restoration, Civil Engineering: Educational,Medical,Utilities, Sustainable Energy:Wind/ Solar/Nuclear
• Licence to practice/CSCS Green Card
• Associate professional Membership
To be eligible for this course, you will be required to have GCSE’s at grade 6/B or above in English, Maths and Science.
Employers may stipulate additional assessments and entry requirements which will be explored with you during the application and selection process, at which point you will also agree to your industrial placement.
How will I be assessed?
The majority of assessments for this course will be project-based, testing out the skills you have been learning. These could be made up of tasks set in class or live briefs provided by our employer partners.
Continuing Your Journey
Upon successful competition of this qualification you’ll have the qualification you need to continue onto a university level degree or course related to the construction industry, or progress onto a career in the Construction and Built Environment industry.Careers page
You may wish to advance onto our HNC in Construction and the Built Environment and follow that up by studying our HND in Construction and the Built Environment to further develop your skills.
Our former learners have gone on to university to study the degrees detailed below:
• BSc (Hons) Architecture Design and Technology
• BSc (Hons) Building Surveying
• BSc (Hons) Construction Project Management
• BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering
• BSc (Hons) Environmental Science
• BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying
You could also progress on to a career in the construction and become a construction manager, civil engineer, quality surveyor or even specialise in architectural design.
Whichever path you choose to take, you’ll be developing a wide range of abilities and knowledge to help you succeed in a number of different career opportunities in industry.
Fees, Finance & Funding
If you need help with affording college, there are a number of different finance and funding options available to you. You might be eligible for special bursary support or extra help from the government. Have a look at our fees, finance & funding page to find out all the information you need.Fees, finance and funding page
- Got a question?
Related News View all
|Building the future of construction||View Story|
|Gary crowned Joiner of the Year||View Story|
|Students discover digital careers at The Manchester College||View Story|
|Employer and Education Networking Event - Construction and Infrastructure||View Story|
Related Events View all
|Adult Open Evening||View Event|
|UCEN Manchester Higher Education Open Day||View Event|
Construction & Engineering
From the foundations of a building to the finishing paintwork on a brand new vehicle, the construction and automotive world has a massive impact on literally everything around us.