City Campus Manchester
(Part Time Non Released - 16 weeks)
This qualification is designed to enable students to gain basic skills in jewellery while pursuing their own creative ideas through a series of set practical projects. It encourages students to research the work of designers and other sources to develop their own craft ideas; present and communicate their ideas to others (gathering visual images, simple sketches, working drawings, samples and technical annotations in a portfolio of work) and to plan, produce and reflect upon their final craft item(s) which will be exhibited at the end of the year show.
• Marking and measuring
• Cutting and forming metal sheet and wire
• Finishing and polishing
• Fabrication of chains, rings, earrings, pendants, bangles, etc.
• Analytical and research skills to develop your own individual style
• Planning and design for jewellery
• Health & Safety procedures for maintaining a safe working environment
• An aptitude for art & design
• Good handmaking skills
• English and Maths qualification at Level 1 or above
Each week, you will attend a 3 hour practical session with an experienced Jewellery tutor in our fully equipped jewellery workshop. You will research and develop your designs for your jewellery in your own time, this is an essential part of the course and requires full commitment
There will be 3 assessments throughout the year for the following units:
• Explore craft resources (3 credits)
• Explore craft ideas (4 credits)
• Create, present and review final craft item(s) (2 credits)
• The course is assessed internally and moderated externally by NCFE.
Students who pass this course can progress on to Jewellery Making – Mixed Media Level 2 (NCFE L2 Award in Creative Craft) at The Manchester College.
This is the first step, with a great deal of further study and experience, students may go on to set up their own business as an independent practitioner: become a designer maker, applied artist, workshop facilitator or work in any number of roles within the growing art and design industry.
Our course enquiries team is on-hand to answer any questions you might have about this qualification, the application process, enrolment, or anything else about life at The Manchester College.Make an enquiry
In one of The Manchester College’s 19 Centres of Excellence you’ll develop the skills and gain the qualifications that you need to take the next steps towards your dream career.Learn more
Use our online form to complete your application.
Remember: you can start now, and save it for completing later.
If you never stop doodling on scraps of paper or love nothing more than redesigning and upcycling your old clothes, then a course in Design & Visual Arts could be just what you need to express your creativity and hone your artistic flair.