Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy
Access to Higher Education Diploma Science & Medical Sciences
- Access to Higher Education Diploma
- Subject Area
- Science & Medical Sciences
- Age Group
(Full Time - 1 year)
- Leaflet Code
Have you thought about becoming a Medical Doctor, Dentist, Pharmacist, Medical Scientist, Biochemist, Optometrist, Speech Pathologist or Therapist, have the necessary experience but do not have the necessary qualifications? The Access to Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy course could be the one for you. This course, which was developed with the support of the Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences at the University of Manchester, introduces you to a supportive learning environment using a variety of methods including lectures, seminars, tutorials, practical laboratory sessions and private study.
Within the course you'll study units on Biology, Chemistry and Maths. The type of units studied and the skills to be acquired are aimed at preparing you for both further studies at university and employment.
If progressing on to Medicine and Dentistry courses, students will require:
• GCSE English and Maths, Grade 6/B or above. If applying to Liverpool and/or Lancaster University, students will need GCSE Sciences Grade B or above (to include GCSE Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Core plus Additional Science) and relevant experience/placement at a hospital setting.
• For applicants intending to apply for Medicine and Dentistry, many medical and dental schools are also asking applicants to complete and achieve good scores in the UKCAT (United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test), for more information about this test visit the website at www.ukcat.co.uk
• Some medical and dental schools also require students to achieve a good score in the Bio Medical Admissions Test (BMAT). Students are encouraged to carry out their own research on these tests and to check with their intended universities.
If progressing on to Pharmacy Schools, students will require:
• Grade 4/C or above in Maths and English at GCSE.
How will I be assessed
At the end of each unit on this course you will be assessed by a variety of methods including examinations, assignments, presentations and practical laboratory work.
Continuing your journey
When you have completed this Access to Higher Education Diploma, you'll have the qualifications and the knowledge needed to enrol on a university-level course in the discipline that most interests you.
Whichever path you choose, you'll find a number of career opportunities in the science and medical sectors. Successful students in the past have gone on to various universities to study Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Optometry, Medical Science and Speech Therapy
Fees finance & Funding
If you need help with affording college, there are a number of different finance and funding options available to you. You might be eligible for special bursary support or extra help from the government. Have a look at our fees, finance & funding page to find out all the information you need.Fees, finance and funding page
Got a question?
Do you have a burning question about this course, or would you like to know more about the qualification you'll receive and how it will help your career?
Our course enquiries team is on hand to help you understand any details and answer any questions – whether it's about applying for the course or finding out about finance. Just get in touch here!
Use our online form to complete your application.
Remember: you can start now, and save it for completing later.