Looking for the ideal creative environment in which to develop to your full potential as a musical theatre professional? Did you know there is an attractive alternative to London’s crowded drama college scene? You can enjoy the advantages of achieving your BA honours degree in musical theatre outside the competitive pressure and expensive environment of the nation’s capital.
The Arden School of Theatre, Manchester offers tuition from an international faculty of renowned musical theatre professionals in England’s second largest cultural centre combining the city’s dynamic university vibe with its international theatre scene.
Develop your potential for excellence as a triple threat over our three year musical theatre course targeting the needs of the industry through the mastery of the three main musical theatre skills – acting, singing and dancing.
Relish the opportunity to learn from bona fide professionals from across the entertainment industry spectrum. As a part of The Manchester College, The Arden enjoys the benefits and reputation of an established HE institution of learning and its student support structure.
Paint the town in the heart of Manchester city centre enjoying the international theatre scene, exploring the plethora of museums and libraries, delve into the impressive Manchester shopping experience or revel in the diversity of its multicultural nightlife. Your new life adventure begins at The Arden.
Qualifications / grades and personal qualities. Please use plain English when describing personal qualities and consider the age, literacy and attention span of your audience – e.g. would your average student understand ‘successful completion of diagnostic assessment’? Bullet points are usually best.
• We are looking for passionate performers to audition to determine entry to the programme.
• Applicants must have two A levels at grade C or above and a third qualification or a BTEC Level 3 National Diploma/Extended Diploma with Merit, Merit, Merit or a BTEC Level 3 National Certificate/Extended Certificate with Distinction, Distinction in a performing arts related subject area, or an equivalent level 3 qualification with appropriate content. Minimum UCAS tariff points required: 96. Students with music theory Grade 5 will be at an advantage.
• Where the student is a mature applicant, the College may choose to reduce the required UCAS tariff points if the applicant can demonstrate appropriate experience of their chosen specialism. However, this will be subject to the agreement of the head of department.
• For overseas applicants or for those for whom English is a second language, a proficiency in English, both written and spoken, is essential. The college requires such students to demonstrate an IELTS score of 6.0. Entry to this pathway at levels 2 and 3 can only happen in exceptional circumstances, and given its intensive actor training, this programme is not a standard top-up route for foundation degree graduates.
How will I be assessed?
Describe the assessment in terms that are relevant to the prospective student. Use ‘you’ and consider the age, literacy and attention span of your audience. Bullet points are usually best – keep it simple and jargon free. Remember that your audience may not be familiar with the ‘education speak’
• You will receive regular, constructive feedback in every skills session
• Practical assessments in singing, dance and acting
• Self-Evaluations of your own practical development
• Third year research project
Continuing Your Journey
With this comprehensive BA (Hons) degree in Musical Theatre, you’ll have the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in the industry. You may choose to continue onto an MA at a dedicated academy, or you might want to begin your career right away.Careers page
You could find yourself performing on stage at the West End, like many of our recent graduates, or acting in TV shows and film productions, like Casualty or Strictly Come Dancing. A number of our alumni have joined UK tours of big musical performances, or gone on to work abroad for the likes of Walt Disney World and Royal Caribbean International. There are a huge range of career opportunities for you to follow.
Fees, Finance & Funding
The fees for this BA (Hons) degree in Musical Theatre are currently £8,900 per year.Fees, finance and funding page
Tuition fees and funding can be a little confusing, which is why we’ve put together a dedicated finance page to help you understand all your options. You may be eligible for special bursaries, grants or support from the government, and you can also find out about specific loans and funding help just for tuition fees.
Got a question?
Our course enquiries team is on-hand to answer any questions you might have about this qualification, the application process, enrolment, or anything else about life at The Manchester College.Make an enquiry
Related News View all
|Performing Arts at The Manchester College||View Story|
|Coronation Street star launches Performing Arts week||View Story|
|Photography student in sharp focus on film set||View Story|
|Silence at Shena Simon for Armistice Day||View Story|
Related Events View all
|Enrolment Open Day||View Event|
If you were born to perform – as an actor, a singer, a dancer or a musician – or even if you want to work behind the scenes, you’ll absolutely love the passion, enthusiasm and creative atmosphere that infects everyone in our Performing Arts department, here at The Manchester College.