This exciting and career focused course will introduce you to all aspects of dance in the performing arts industry. You will refine your dance technique in styles such as ballet, jazz, contemporary and commercial, and you will develop the employability skills that are an essential part of being in this industry.
The course will explore three areas: dance performance, dance teaching and dance in the community. You will have the option of completing the Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing (ISTD) dance teaching qualifications: Diploma in Dance Instruction (DDI) and Diploma in Dance Education (DDE). The course combines both practical and theoretical units and will expand your knowledge of the wider dance world, working as a freelance dancer and improving your employment prospects in various dance pathways.
You will be assessed in a variety of ways and may be asked to research dance companies, employment methods and present your work in ether written format or presentations. Additionally, you will be assessed in performance / demonstration of your practical skills.
Examples of modules covered may be:
- Classical Ballet Background and Technique
- Jazz Dance Technique and Performance
- Commercial Dance
- Contemporary Dance Techniques and Performance
- Dance for Musical Theatre
- Dance and Health
- Creative Arts Professional Practice
- Creative Arts Research Skills
- Practical performance skills in a variety of dance methods, fitness and anatomy, development of dance technique and choreography.
- Exploring the business side of being a performer and various employment opportunities.
- Building a professional portfolio for personal marketing.
- Studying a variety of different performance styles, choreographers and practitioners.
• You will take part in a practical audition and interview, to assess your practical skills.
• Minimum of 48 UCAS points.
• Ideally you will have a Level 3 Extended Diploma at grade Merit, Merit, Merit in a performing arts-related area
• GCSE English and Maths at grade C/grade 5 or above
• Intermediate level in ballet, jazz or tap (desirable)
• Prior practical experience essential
• Written communication skills essential
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will take place through a variety of scenario-based assignments where you will be graded Pass, Merit or Distinction. Assessment will comprise of both theoretical (written / coursework) and practical skills based assignments / performances. An external examiner will assess you on all ISTD qualifications.
Continuing Your Journey
• HND Performing Arts Dance Currently offered by the Manchester CollegeCareers page
• BA Honours Degree Dance - The Arden School of Theatre
• University or Dance School
• Into the world of work – Dance teaching
Our students have successfully gone on to professional work within the Dance & Musical Theatre industry including Commercial, West End & Regional Theatre, Cruise Ships and Disney. Other potential career paths include Choreography, Dance Therapy, Teaching and running you own Dance School.
Fees, Finance & Funding
Tuition fees and funding can be a little confusing, which is why we’ve put together a dedicated finance page to help you understand all your options. You may be eligible for special bursaries, grants or support from the government, and you can also find out about specific loans and funding help just for tuition fees.Fees, finance and funding page
Got a question?
Our course enquiries team is on-hand to answer any questions you might have about this qualification, the application process, enrolment, or anything else about life at The Manchester College.Make an enquiry
Related News View all
|Silence at Shena Simon for Armistice Day||View Story|
|College students give peace a chance||View Story|
|Face-to-face networking – and how to do it||View Story|
|Keep calm and do your best||View Story|
Related Events View all
|School Leaver and Adult Open Evening||View Event|
|School Leaver and Adult Online Open Evening||View Event|
If you were born to perform – as an actor, a singer, a dancer or a musician – or even if you want to work behind the scenes, you’ll absolutely love the passion, enthusiasm and creative atmosphere that infects everyone in our Performing Arts department, here at The Manchester College.