The exciting and practically focused course offers you a wonderful opportunity to develop and enhance your techniques either to progress in education or to take professional work in the field of Musical Theatre. The course is taught by our industry professionals who are still active in the business and therefore have up-to-date knowledge of current practice.
The course will explore three main areas or skills development: Singing, Dance and Acting. The course combines both practical and theoretical units and will expand your knowledge of the wider professional world, working as a freelance performer and improving your employment prospects in various performance pathways.
You will be assessed in a variety of ways and may be asked to research Theatre companies, practitioners, choreographer, and employment methods and present your work in ether written format or presentations. Additionally, you will be assessed in performance / demonstration of your practical skills.
Examples modules covered may be:
Acting for Musical Theatre
Classical Ballet Background and Technique
Jazz Dance Technique and Performance
Tap Dance Technique and Performance
Dance For Musical Theatre
Creative Arts Professional Practice
Creative Arts Research Skills
Singing Techniques and Styles
Singing for Musical Theatre
• Practical performance skills in dance (variety of styles), singing skills and techniques and acting.
• Performance / audition repertoire.
• Exploring the business side of being a performer and various employment opportunities.
• Building a professional portfolio for personal marketing.
• Studying a variety of different performance styles, composers, choreographers and practitioners.
• You will need to audition for the course preparing one song from a musical theatre repertoire and one speech. You should also be prepared to participate in a dance workshop and an interview.
• Minimum of 48 UCAS tariff points.
• Ideally you will have a Level 3 Extended Diploma at grade Pass, Merit, Merit in a performing arts-related area
• GCSE English and Maths at grade C/ grade 5 or above
• Intermediate level in ballet, jazz or tap
• Prior practical experience essential
• Written communication skills essential
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will take place through a variety of scenario-based assignments where you will be graded Pass, Merit or Distinction. Assessment will comprise of both theoretical (written / coursework) and practical skills based assignments / performances.
Continuing Your Journey
• BA Honours Degree Musical Theatre - The Arden School of TheatreCareers page
• University or Drama School
• HND Performing Arts Top up – external providers
• Into the world of work – Musical Theatre at The Arden School of Theatre.
Our students have successfully gone on to professional work within the Dance & Musical Theatre industry including Commercial, West End & Regional Theatre, Cruise Ships and Disney. Other potential career paths include choreography, teaching, running you own musical theatre school.
Fees, Finance & Funding
There are a number of different finance and funding options available to help you fund your academic studies with The Manchester College. These range from bursaries and grants to special loans for tuition fees. You can find out more about them on our dedicated Fees, Funding and Finance page.Fees, finance and funding page
Students are expected to purchase a kit at the Minimum Kit cost of approximately £150.
Got a question?
Our course enquiries team is on-hand to answer any questions you might have about this qualification, the application process, enrolment, or anything else about life at The Manchester College.Make an enquiry
Related News View all
|Silence at Shena Simon for Armistice Day||View Story|
|College students give peace a chance||View Story|
|Face-to-face networking – and how to do it||View Story|
|Keep calm and do your best||View Story|
Related Events View all
|School Leaver and Adult Open Evening||View Event|
|School Leaver and Adult Online Open Evening||View Event|
If you were born to perform – as an actor, a singer, a dancer or a musician – or even if you want to work behind the scenes, you’ll absolutely love the passion, enthusiasm and creative atmosphere that infects everyone in our Performing Arts department, here at The Manchester College.