(Full Time - 2 years)
Our courses have been co-developed and are co-delivered by our industry partners to meet the needs of industry and prepare you for work in the sector. Alongside your studies, you'll undertake a minimum 15-day (Foundation Year) or 45-day (T Level) industry placement, as well as having regular guest speakers, workshops from industry experts, experience of working to live briefs and more. You'll also be assigned a specialist employability tutor to support and prepare you for the world of work.
All our courses will enable you to develop a general understanding of the hair and beauty sector, including:
- Business context, including how the sector operates
- Health and Safety regulations
- Safe working practices
- An understanding of the client journey
- Client consultation
- Sales and marketing
- Business practices
Occupational specialisms covered:
- Analyse, shampoo, treat and condition hair and scalp for barbering services.
- Use a range of creative and precision barbering techniques to create a variety of styles, including fashion forward trends (such as square layer, uniformed layer, graduation, with fringe, with a parting, around the ear, over the ear, with a fade, flat top, tapered neckline, squared neckline, full neckline, skin fade, natural outline, created outline and tapered outline.)
- Cut facial hair into shape using precision techniques. - Provide shaving, bespoke skin analysis and treatments. - Provide lightening, toning and colouring grey hair services - Plan, create and promote a collection of barbering looks.
English and maths at Grade 4 or above
You will be assessed by exams, the employer set project, and assignments.
This is an approved qualification for working as an advanced barber. It also provides a sound platform for further learning or training in:
- Level 4 Certificate in Hair Colour Correction
- Level 4 Certificate in Specialist Hair and Scalp Services
- Level 4 Award in Advanced Hairstyling
Have a look at our fees, finance & funding page to find out all the information you need. - If you need help with affording college, there are a number of different finance and funding options available to you. You might be eligible for special bursary support or extra help from the government. Have a look at our fees, finance & funding page to find out all the information you need.Fees, finance and funding page
Do you have a burning question about this course, or would you like to know more about the qualification you'll receive and how it will help your career?
Our course enquiries team is on hand to help you understand any details and answer any questions – whether it's about applying for the course or finding out about finance. Just get in touch here!Make an enquiry
In one of The Manchester College’s 19 Centres of Excellence you’ll develop the skills and gain the qualifications that you need to take the next steps towards your dream career.Learn more
In our unique Industry Excellence Academy you’ll benefit from a programme of study that has been co-developed, and is co-delivered, with one of our industry partners.Learn more
Use our online form to complete your application.
Remember: you can start now, and save it for completing later.
When there is always a demand to look good and feel great, you'll find rewarding careers for hairdressers and beauty therapies all across Greater Manchester and the North West.