Fees, Finance & Funding - HE

Tuition fees, student finance and funding opportunities are different for those courses classified as higher education. This covers university-level courses such as HNCs, HNDs, foundation degrees (FdA/FdSc), bachelor’s degrees (BA/BSc) and higher level programmes.

The majority of these courses require tuition fees to be paid, but there’s lots of help to make sure you can afford your education and enjoy your time at The Manchester College without worrying about money. This includes loans for both the cost of the course and for living costs.

If you have any questions or concerns about finance and funding, then please do not hesitate to get in touch with our Careers and Welfare team, who’ll be able to help you understand all your available options.

  • In the academic year 2016/17, the tuition fee for all full-time programmes at The Manchester College, for students new to higher education, is less than £6000 with the exceptions of:

    • BA (Hons) Musical Theatre and BA (Hons) Acting for Live and Recorded Media - £8900
    • BA (Hons) Make-up Artistry and Effects and FD Make-up Artistry – £6800
    • FD Film and TV Production - £8000
    • FD Contemporary Photographic Practices - £7500

    Part-time programmes are charged pro-rata. Different fees apply to international students.

  • Eligibility for student funding is dependent on your nationality, residency, previous study and the type of course you are applying for. Generally most students applying for their first university-level course will be eligible.

    For anyone between the ages of 18 and 25, you’ll be expected to provide income details for your parent/s or guardian/s, as you are classed as a dependent learner. You’ll apply online, and then your parents/guardians will be sent an email asking them to provide the necessary information.

    If you’re living independently, don’t have a parent or guardian or are estranged, we can advise you on what to do next.

    You can find out all the information you need on the government’s student finance webpages.

  • To cover your tuition fees, you’ll be able to get a dedicated Tuition Fee Loan that will cover the entire cost of your course, up to £9,250 per year. You won’t start paying this back until you’re earning over £21,000 a year, with repayments based on your salary.

    To help with living costs, you could also get a Maintenance Loan that will give you peace of mind affording accommodation, food and travel expenses.  The amount you can get will depend on where you live and study, with the maximum amount (based on study outside London, living on your own) of £8200 available in a single year. If you are studying overseas as part of a UK course, maintenance loan support is still available up to £9,654 for 2017/18.

    The loan is paid directly in your bank account each term, and doesn’t have to be paid back until you have left university and are earning more than £21,000 a year.

  • Depending on your personal circumstances, you may be able to get some extra financial support in the form of grants and allowances.

    Childcare Grant

    This helps with the cost of childcare for dependent children aged under 15 at the beginning of the academic year (or under 17 if they have special educational needs) in registered or approved childcare. Depending on your household income, you can apply for up to 85% of your actual childcare costs, up to a maximum of £155.24 a week for one child, or £266.15 a week for two or more children.

    Parents’ Learning Allowance

    This fund could help with course-related costs such as books or travel if you have dependent children. If you’re eligible, you can get up to £1,617 a year. The amount you can get depends on your household income (combined with a partner and any dependents if you have them). If you and your partner are both eligible students, you can both apply for Parents’ Learning Allowance.

    Adult Dependants’ Grant

    If you care for an adult who depends on you financially, this grant can help. This can’t be your grown up children or any adult who gets student finance. If the adult who is dependent on you isn’t your husband, wife, civil partner or partner then their income must be less than £3,796 for them to be classed as dependent on you. You can get up to £2,834 a year. The amount you can get depends on the income of your husband, wife, civil partner or partner (if you have one) and that of any dependants.

    All figures correct at time of publication. Due to on-going Government reviews figures may change.  

    Welfare benefits

    Jobcentre Plus won’t count Childcare Grant or Parents’ Learning Allowance when working out any other benefits but Adult Dependants’ Grant and any loans for living costs will be taken into account. You will usually stop being entitled to benefits on the day your course starts (not when you receive the funding award letter). It's your responsibility to inform the benefits agency that your circumstances have changed.


  • To submit the required details for tuition fee loans, maintenance loans and any available grants, you’ll need to apply online. *

    Each year thousands of students apply late for their finance and have no way to pay for their course or accommodation; some even have to drop out. Apply early to make sure your student finance is ready for the start of your course. You don’t need a confirmed place at university or college to apply, and can always change your details later if you need to.

    *The application window is usually open from Jan-May. You can register on UCAS for updates and information from SFE.

  • This year, disability students’ allowances are changing. If you are or have been eligible for these, you can find out more information on our dedicated Supported Learning page.

  • If you’re from the EU we can look at exactly what fees you’ll have to pay, as well as sources of funding that may be available. If you’re from the EU and have not lived in England for the five years prior to the start of the course, you might be subject to EU funding rules which may mean you can still receive the tuition fee loan.

  • There is lots of extra information and advice available to help you understand student finance. You can always get in touch with us, or take a look at some of the tools below.