The Manchester College students recognised at annual celebration
Staff and students from across The Manchester College recently came together at the Imperial War Museum North to celebrate the College’s Student Awards.
The event, which was organised alongside the College’s higher education partner, UCEN Manchester, showcased students’ incredible achievements throughout the 2022/23 academic year.
All the students that were invited to attend the awards were nominated by a member of staff or fellow student for one of this year’s categories. A panel of judges, which was made up of staff and students, then shortlisted the best nominations in each category.
Finalists got the chance to take two guests with them to the ceremony and throughout the night they were treated to a delicious street food inspired buffet and incredible entertainment from The Manchester College’s Performing Arts students and UCEN Manchester’s choir. There was also a solo performance from Mani Hajipour Kahriz, who won an award at the College’s student talent competition during the Spring Term.
Over the course of the evening, attendees heard about the finalists’ amazing achievements and found out why their nominators were inspired to recognise them.
The night ended with the prestigious Student of the Year Award, which was presented by the College’s Principal, Rachel Curry, and awarded to Sophie Colbeck (pictured).
Speaking at the awards, Rachel said: “Students from across our College and UCEN Manchester have influenced, and helped organise, every aspect of our Student Awards and have been instrumental in making tonight’s event such a wonderful occasion. I couldn’t be happier to join in the joyous celebrations of everything they've achieved throughout the academic year.
Our Student Awards are always a special occasion and I’m incredibly proud of everything that all our finalists have achieved this year. They’ve seized every opportunity that our industry partnerships and high-quality curriculum have afforded them. By doing this, they’ve developed the skills that employers want and need, worked incredibly hard, and still found time to support their fellow students on their journeys.
Shortly after collecting the Student of the Year Award, Sophie added: “I honestly can’t quite believe it.
“I’m in the first year of my course and the progress I’ve made over the last twelve months has been incredible. I’ve put a lot of hard work in and now I’ve just won the Student of the Year Award, it’s crazy when I think about.”
- Greatest Achiever Award - Luke Whetham
- Most Inspiring Award - Lily Curbishley
- Rising Star Award - Efdon Kibreyesus
- Automotive, Construction, Engineering and Logistics Student of the Year – Arkaan Patel
- Business, Digital and Service Industries Student of the Year - Kaja Davies
- Creative Arts Student of the Year – Claire Owens
- ESOL Student of the Year - Oksana Boiko
- Foundation Learning Student of the Year - Jamie Caroll
- Learning Support Student of the Year - Joseph Mendy
- Sport, Public Services, Care Professions and Science Student of the Year - Emma-Louise Kirke
- The Manchester College Student of the Year – Sophie Colbeck.