The Students’ Union (SU) is run by students, for students, and is here to support you. It provides fantastic opportunities for you to meet new people, get involved with campaigns and events and aims to makes your time with us even more enjoyable. The SU is not a physical location. It is something you can join in with and be a part of at every campus.
Introduction to your SU President, Sam Lowe
Hello everyone, I’m Sam and I’m a BA Hons Theatre and Performance graduate having just finished my degree at The Arden School of Theatre. I am excited to be your new SU President, bringing my vision for the Students’ Union forward.
My journey began as a fresher who became a Student Rep, voicing my curriculum feedback, ideas and issues. Then I became a Student Advocate, taking part in open days to talk to college students and going into schools and fairs to promote UCEN Manchester.
I spent time writing for the student newsletter and wrote and performed a poem at the launch of Hate Crime Awareness Week.
Plus, I am a magician who loves to push magic into new places! If you see me around campus, please see hello!
How to get involved in your SU
There are lots of ways to get involved with your SU, including:
- Register your interest by emailing SU@ucenmcr.tmc.ac.uk
- Write a piece for the student newsletter or blog ‘HE: Bee’
- Create a campaign for change – e.g. single use plastics campaign
- Become an officer - there are several roles available this year, keep an eye out to find out more!
- Attend NUS Conferences
- Volunteer at SU activities - we partner with organisations around Manchester to give you opportunities to get involved in community projects
- Join a society or sports team. Find people with similar likes and interests as you by following the SU social media pages on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, or by emailing SU@ucenmcr.tmc.ac.uk
- Become the next SU President
How can I become an SU Officer or the next SU President?
SU Officers and the SU President carry out important work throughout the year, celebrating successes and building on developments in collaboration with, and on behalf of, our students.
If you are interested in becoming an Officer, or the future President, email: SU@ucenmcr.tmc.ac.uk for more information.