The Students’ Union (SU) is run by students, for students, and is here to support you. It provides fantastic opportunities for you to meet new people, get involved with campaigns and events and aims to makes your time with us even more enjoyable. The SU is not a physical location. It is something you can join in with and be a part of at every campus.
Introduction to your SU President, Sam Lowe
Hi everyone, I’m Sam and I’m a BA Hons Theatre and Performance graduate from Nicholls Campus, at The Arden School of Theatre.
I am really excited to be your SU President, as this is my second year in post. SU Presidents can run for a maximum of two years…so keep your eyes peeled for your next Presidency elections in spring, you may even want to become an SU Officer yourself!
My journey began as a Fresher who became a Student Rep, voicing my feedback about my academic and social experience as a student. I then started working as a paid Student Advocate, going into schools, colleges and fairs to promote UCEN Manchester. I also volunteered as a writer for the student newsletter and HE: Bee – the student blog, reviewing internal theatre performances and attending committees on behalf of the student body. If you see me around campus, feel free to say hello – I host drop ins in the SU areas of each campus regularly all year round!
It is something you can join in with and be a part of at every campus. We represent students’ views and academic interests. The SU is still developing in its infancy and making great progress.
How to get involved in your SU
There are lots of ways to get involved with your SU, including:
- Register your interest by emailing SU@ucenmcr.tmc.ac.uk
- Write a piece for the student newsletter or blog ‘HE: Bee’
- Create a campaign for change – e.g. single use plastics campaign
- Become an officer - there are several roles available this year, keep an eye out to find out more!
- Attend NUS Conferences
- Volunteer at SU activities - we partner with organisations around Manchester to give you opportunities to get involved in community projects
- Join a society or sports team. Find people with similar likes and interests as you by following the SU social media pages on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, or by emailing SU@ucenmcr.tmc.ac.uk
- Become the next SU President
How can I become an SU Officer or the next SU President?
SU Officers and the SU President carry out important work throughout the year, celebrating successes and building on developments in collaboration with, and on behalf of, our students.
If you are interested in becoming an Officer, or the future President, email: SU@ucenmcr.tmc.ac.uk for more information.