Three piles of coins

Fees, Finance & Funding 16-18

The most important thing to know about finance and funding if you’re 16-18 years old, is that you won’t have to pay any course fees or exam costs at The Manchester College.

During your time with us, there may be other things you have to pay for, including travel to and from college, food and drinks if you’re on campus, and any additional costs for course kits or equipment. You might need to plan and budget for these, but depending on your circumstances, we have some financial support that could help.

If you have any questions or concerns about finance and funding, then please do not hesitate to get in touch with our Careers, Employability and Welfare team , who’ll be able to help you understand all your available options.

Your college ID badge is now your passport to financial support. If eligible for travel or meals in college, this will now be loaded onto your college ID so it’s vital you wear it and keep it safe. If you lose you badge there will be an administration fee of £10 to replace it.

Go Explore Travel Pass

For students aged 16 to 18, you can explore Greater Manchester with OurPass. If you are not eligible for OurPass, The Manchester College will give you the same opportunities, not only to travel to a fantastic college, but to be able to explore all the great places in Greater Manchester. (Please ensure you check for any Covid restrictions before making any travel plans)

The College Travel award will only be provided to students who are not eligible for “OurPass”, this will usually be students who live outside the GM area or are 18 on or after 31st August 2021. 
Your travel award will now operate on an ITSO card which will be the College ID badge. This will be used on public transport as a travel card. You will be able to renew the travel award every 28 days using a smart phone or tablet. 
If you lose or misplace the ITSO bus pass, you will incur a fee of £2 to obtain a replacement from the College. Refunds are not available if a bus pass is later found. Whilst the bus pass is being replaced, there will be no replacement funds available. Any student found misusing their bus pass will be subject to the student disciplinary procedures.

Please note: If you are 16 years old and under 18 on 31/08/2021 your travel will come from the “Our Pass” from the Local Authority. You will need to apply now at and complete the application. If you are 18 or above on 31/08/2021 you will need to apply for the College SPA for Travel. Please see your site reception or Careers, Employability and Welfare.

Go Eat

Your teenage years are a time of rapid growth and development, so a healthy balanced diet is particularly important. If you skip lunch you can be at risk of not eating enough and not getting the nutrients you need for healthy growth and development. This can lead to health issues and other problems like fatigue and poor concentration, essential for study.

Our refectory works hard to provide you with all you need to be able to work hard and achieve your goals so be kind to yourself and go eat…

If you are in receipt of a means tested benefit, child tax credits or Universal Credit you may be entitled up to £15 (depending on profile) meal allowance per week when in College and when off-site as part of your Programme of Study, for example, when carrying out a work placement or work experience. 
You will receive the funds loaded onto your ID card. If you cannot access the cashless vending system, an appropriate alternative payment method will be put in place. 
If you are 19-24 years old with an Education Care and Health Plan (EHCP) you may also be entitled to support with meals. 

Remember, if you are in College from 8:45am to 9:45am, take advantage of FREE Tea and Toast for all 16 to 18-year olds. You will need to show your ID badge.

Kit Up

For those studying courses such as Hair and Beauty or Hospitality and Catering we can provide support up to a maximum of £75 depending on the course requirements.

Current allocations where specialist kit and or equipment are required:

  • Catering - £71.85
  • Construction - £20
  • Hair and Beauty - £75
  • Travel and Tourism - £16.90

Please note there will be a contribution expected from yourself, depending on the cost of the kit.

Laptop Loan

If you do not have access to a piece of IT equipment for independent study, then you can book College computers or laptops through the Learning Resource Centres to work on whilst on campus.  

You can also apply for data support where required. 
Before the College provides any equipment, you will be expected to sign the College Acceptable Use of IT Policy and the College IT Agreement Form. 

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for some or all this award, your parent/guardian will need to have an income of below £20,000. For some parts of the award, they may need to be in receipt of Working Tax Credits, Income Support, Income based JSA, ESA, Universal Credits or Child Tax Credits.

What do you need to apply?

When making an application for the SPA we will ask for some personal details, such as household income and welfare benefit income. It's one single process to apply for the awards and you will be notified by text or email if you are eligible for support.

Bank accounts – essential 

We can only make cash payments into a valid UK bank account. You will be required to provide details of your bank account. You will be providing these details securely to protect your information. You can use the BF19 form in the downloads section. This will be part of the SPA processing (as above BF19). If you are asked to provide any sensitive information, this must be sent using a student email and can only be sent to the Bursary Team email address (see below).

Your email:
Your student id number and (
Bursary Team:

Having a bank account is vital for the College to be able to pay any awards. If you do not have a bank account, you can visit the websites below for information on bank accounts: (Some banks are offering accounts to individuals with no fixed abode).

How do I apply?

To apply for this award, you’ll need to fill out an application, which you can pick up from the College reception. Or download the SPA application here .

If you wish to appeal a decision, you will need to put this is writing outlining why you feel the decision was incorrect and send to the Bursary Team within 10 days of the decision date. It will then go to an appeal panel and you will be informed of the outcome within 10 days.

This is for all students who are 16 and under 18 on 31/08/2021

Our Pass is the bus pass for 16-18-year-olds. For a one-off £10 administration fee, it unlocks free bus travel right across Greater Manchester – meaning that young people could unlock potential savings of over £500.

Our Pass will cover all local bus services across Greater Manchester.

For eligible SPA students, the college will be reimbursing the £10 administration. 

Apply for Our Pass

What can you get?

We understand that some students may need some extra support while studying. Eligible students may receive an award up to £1,200 per year. This will be £150 a month, starting in November to June, depending on the award. The Support Bursary is based on a financial assessment and is not guaranteed.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for this bursary, you’ll need to be in care, including unaccompanied asylum-seeking children, or leaving care, OR you should be in receipt of Income Support or the equivalent Universal Credit (UC). Alternatively, you’ll be eligible if you’re disabled and in receipt of both Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit (UC) and Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment in your own right.

You will also need to prove that you are living independently, so will need a valid Tenancy agreement or any equivalent documentation.

How do I apply?

To apply for this award, you’ll need to fill out an application, which you can pick up from the college reception. Or download here .

What can I get?

If you’re a young parent (under 20 at the start of your course), you could get up to £160 per child, per week, to help you pay for childcare as part of the Care2Learn scheme.  This could cover childcare costs, including deposits and registration fees, travel to take your children to and from childcare, taster sessions for up to five days, and even the cost to keep your childcare place over the summer holidays.

Am I eligible?

You can get Care2Learn if all the following apply to you:

  • you’re a parent under 20 at the start of your course
  • you’re the main carer for your child
  • you live in England
  • you’re either a British citizen or have a legal right to live and study in England
  • your course qualifies
  • your childcare provider qualifies

If you’re an EU citizen and you were living in the UK by 31 December 2020, you can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living here after 30 June 2021. If you want to move to the UK from 1 January 2021, you may need to apply for a visa.

If you’re an apprentice, who gets a salary OR studying Higher Education you won’t be eligible for this scheme.

How do I apply?

Applications for the Care2Learn scheme are submitted online via the government website.

This award is given to students who meet the eligibility for the Study Programme Award (SPA) and demonstrates all the professional standards and behaviours that The Deal Framework sets out. There are seven areas The Deal covers and all of them are important to the culture of our College, including being respectful, collaborative, proactive, committed, responsible, ambitious and professional and to the skills required by employers for positive destinations into employment.

Students can be nominated by Tutors, Achievement Tutors or Curriculum Heads and awards will be made between May and June. The award will be a cash amount made into valid UK bank account.

  • The 16-18 Study Programme Award funds are paid from the college allocation of Discretionary Support Funds from the Skills Funding Agency.
  • These funds are paid to meet some of the costs associated with learning, to enable learners to attend college courses where financial issues may not have made this otherwise possible.
  • The funds are paid subject to learners meeting the conditions of your learning agreement in terms of learning goals and the standards of behaviour and maintain a good attendance pattern in line with the college expectations, which must be at least 10 guided learning hours per week.
  • Where a learner has been awarded the 16-18 Study Programme Award but they do not meet the attendance, behaviour and effort requirements, support may be withdrawn.
  • If a learner withdraws from their studies or stops attending the college, all support through the 16-18 Study Programme Award will immediately cease and no future payments will be made.
  • If a learner loses their SPA bus pass, there will be a £10 charge for administration costs for a replacement. A refund will not be given for passes later found. 
  • The 16-18 Study Programme Award funds are limited and the college seeks to provide the maximum benefit to the most learners possible.  If further payments cannot be made, all recipients will be informed of this in writing.
  • The LSF funds are limited and not guaranteed these will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis and will close when the full allocation has been spent. The fund will be reviewed on a termly basis. The college reserve the right to adjust the criteria in year according to funds available.